Thursday, January 20, 2011

Week 1 : Let me introduce myself!

I'm not great at this blog thing, but one of my new year's resolutions was to be more consistent with updates... and obviously, I've done an awesome job following through since it is now January 20th and I have yet to write a new post this year (until now of course...)! SO, I've decided to (kinda) follow a list of weekly posts that I stole from another photographer blog that I follow (Thanks Kim!).

I'm gonna start with a little Q&A, to get things started.

Where are you from?
Kansas. Born and raised in the same house, in a tiny little town.


Where is home now?
Kansas. Right across the street from the house I was born and raised in. I left for a few years, but we decided this was where we wanted to raise our children.

Are you formally educated or self-taught in photography?
Both. My interest in photography started in my high school yearbook class (about 15 years ago...). I took a film photography class my freshman year of college, then started studying graphic design and took some digital photography classes during that time. I got my first DSLR in 2006 and just started shooting. I learned the basics in college but most of what I've learned has been self-taught with practice, practice, practice. I've attended seminars. I've researched and read blogs, but trial and error is what has taught me the most. And I still have so much more to learn!

What is your favorite kind of session to shoot and why?
Kiddos! My style is more journalistic. I don't like posing people... I like to shoot while my subject is acting naturally and not nervous about posing just right. And kids are the least likely to get camera shy. My favorite shots are usually those where the kiddo isn't even looking at the camera, or isn't even smiling.


What’s your best advice for balancing work and family?
I may not be the person to ask for advice in this area..... My family schedule is crazy and there is absolutely no balance involved. My husband is an EMT and works 24 hour shifts, so I have to take that into consideration when scheduling what few sessions I do. I also work a normal full-time job, am on the school PTO board and am in the middle of an entire house remodel. All while taking care of a 6-year-old and 3-year-old. You might ask me again in another year or two... maybe I'll be of help then. ;)

What’s in your camera bag?
Canon 40D,  28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens, Canon 50mm f1.8 Prime Lens.

When you’re not photographing, where can we find you?
Unfortunately I'm not photographing very often.... so most of the time you will either find me at work, at my daughter's school or at home doing the wife and mom thing.

If not a photographer what would you have been?
Hmmmm, good question. Considering I'm not actually a full-time photographer, I would like to have the opportunity some day to have my own studio where I can do studio photography and free-lance design work.

If you could live anywhere on this awesome planet where would you build your dream home?
Just somewhere warm. Right now, I don't even care where, as long as there isn't snow on the ground and I can go outside without a jacket!

What talent would you most like to have?
Musical talent! I love music. I love to sing. I love to dance. But you don't want to hear or see me do either...trust me!

What are the three words your spouse would use to describe you?
He's actually home tonight so let's ask him..... Unique. Loving. Family-Oriented. (I think he's sucking up...if I were to guess what he would say, it would have been Perfectionist, Control-Freak, OCD. ;))

Something that is over rated…
Valentine's Day. Don't get me wrong, I love love and romance. But I'd rather be sent flowers, or taken out on any other day of the year than the one day that it's expected.

Your favorite movie of all time?
The Notebook.  I LOVE a good love story


Name one blog you stalk regularly.      
I can only name one?!?! Well, here are several that I stalk daily on Google Reader:
Jasmine Star 
Fresh Art Photography 
Betsy King  
Clayton Austin 
Ree Drummond
Tara Miesner (a personal friend of mine...) Yes Tara, I stalk you too!

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | The Blog Full of Games

Back to TOP